Herbal Tinctures are alcohol based preparations that are traditionally used for preserving and taking herbal remedies. All the healthy benefits from the herb are transferred to the alcohol.
This herb is used in ancient times to give strength and courage to those who take it.
Thyme tincture contains two oil-soluble components carvacrol and thymol with medical value. It reduces associated spasms, and that’s why it is mostly used for a chest cold, bronchitis, and cough.
Thyme Tincture Health Benefits and Uses
Thyme relieves you from the cough and you can heal and rest quickly. The antispasmodic, antiseptic, and expectorant properties of this herb are helping with urinary infections and bronchial catarrh. Other benefits from thyme tincture are:
- Thymol is reducing mucous build-up in the respiratory tract.
- Helps with treating dry hacking types of cough and bronchitis with Its activity and antibacterial properties.
- Also it is useful for treating whooping cough in children.
- Destroys fungal microorganisms such as yeast, thrush, and gastrointestinal infections.
- It helps with bad breath, thanks of its antibacterial properties.
If you want to read about all health benefits of thyme herb, read my previus article Thyme: Overview, Benefits, Recipes and Side Effects
How to Use Thyme Tincture?
One tablespoon 2 – 3 times a day is a recommended dose. It all depends on how much the tincture is concentrated. This dosage is for ⅓ tincture or 1 part herbs 3 alcohol. If the tincture is stronger, reduce the daily dosage.
For persons who want to avoid alcohol, like children elder people, and others, there is a way:
- Remove the 200 ml boiled water from the heat and leave to cool to 80°C.
- Add the tincture (drops) to the water.
- Leave it for 20 minutes again and allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Pour into a cup and drink it.
Thyme Tincture Side Effects
Thyme tincture is generally safe. If you are pregnant or nursing mother avoids using it especially in the first 3 months of pregnancy. For further usage, you must consult with your health provider. If you are feeling dizziness and vomiting, reduce the dose. If you are feeling difficulty breathing stop taking it and consult a doctor you may be allergic to it.
Thyme Tincture Recipe
I will use the 40 days infusion recipe again. You leave the herbs in alcohol in a shady place for 40 days, and after that period, the healing properties of the herbs are transfers into the alcohol. Like that, it can last for 4 years.
I will use dried herbs, but you can use fresh ones too, only leave them over one night to evaporate the remaining moisture and then start with the recipe. Also in the video, I will use 40%-50% traditional alcohol but you can use vodka or other $40% – 50% alcohol it is totally ok.
Before we start, if you are interested in other things what can you do with thyme, check out my recipes about:
Or my other tinctures recipes: