In ancient times, Origanum majorana was also called “joy of the mountain” and “herb of happiness”. The aromatic scent, beautiful sight, and purple flowers that cover the hills are the reason for that nickname. It was a very popular herb between Greeks and Roman. Marjoram was part of their culture and they used it in both weddings and funerals.
It is often confused with Origanum vulgare – Oregano. Both herbs are from the same mint family Lamiaceae and are very similar. Sweet marjoram’s siblings are thyme, basil, lavender, sage, rosemary, and of course, oregano.
Sweet Marjoram has antibacterial, antiseptic, antispasmodic, soothing, and tonic properties. It is antioxidant and high in flavonoids. All these beneficial properties help with many health problems.
Here we will talk about sweet marjoram oil (Origanum majorana – Latin), how to make it, how to use it and it’s health benefits.
This oil is infused – it is not essential and can be used alone. The essential oil is very concentrated and you must dilute it with a carrier oil before use.
Sweet Marjoram Infused Oil Health Benefits
- It is superior oil for sport massage. – A massage with this oil after exercise will support and relax tense muscles. Also, you can make a body butter or salve with it. You can combine it with St. John’s Worth or Thyme for better effect.
- It helps with nervous tension – It support the nervous and cardiovascular system and it provides relaxing aromatic effect which is mentally strengthening. Also relieves nervouse headache.
- With its antispasmodic properties it reduces nausea and menstrual cramps through the period.
- It relieves stomach upset, help with digestive system, and baby’s colic. – When you take it orally.
- It lowers blood presure and acts as vasodilator.
- Promotes healthy hair and hair growth. – Rubbing marjoram infused oil into the scalp provide nourishing to hair follicles.
- Helps with respiratory ailments and sore throats. It’s antimicrobal and antiseptic properties pervent and improve these two health problems.
- The strong antibacterial action maintain gum health and can be used as mouth wash. Also can disinfect wounds and help with ulcers.
- Improves sleeping and helps with treating insomnia.
- Culinary use – this oil adds magnificent taste in many dishes. It is also excellent for salad dressings.
Precautions With Marjoram Infused Oil
Do not use the oil orally for a long time. Pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid using this infused oil before consultation with a medical provider. Always do a little allergy test with topical applications on the palm before using it. Unless you experience redness and itching within 24 hours, continue to use the oil.
Marjoram Infused Oil Recipe
For this recipe I will use dried sweet marjoram. I will infuse the healthy properties from it in the olive oil through the cold infusion method. If you decide to use fresh herbs leave them overnight to evaporate the remaining moisture.
Read also about lemon balm, chamomile, thyme, and yarrow infused oil recipes.
- In a clean glass jar add the marjoram.
- Pour with olive oil to the level of the herbs.
- Close and leave it in a shady place for 40 days.
- After that period, strain through a cloth.
- Pour it back into a clean jar.
- Close and label it with date and name.
This Post Has 14 Comments
This is my first time go to see at here and i am truly happy to read all at single place. Vannie Wayne Childs
I am not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic. Belva Jecho Shelba
Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! Marcella Lionel Avitzur
Awesome post. I am a normal visitor of your website and appreciate you taking the time to maintain the nice site. I will be a frequent visitor for a really long time. Kelila Gianni Candyce
You made some nice points there. I did a search on the issue and found most persons will agree with your site. Glenine Archibald Meuser
These are actually impressive ideas in regarding blogging. Maridel Bertrand Boru
I love it when folks come together and share views. Great blog, continue the good work! Minny Noak Darrill
Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post! Yevette Ferdie Perzan
Hi my family member!
I want to say that this post is awesome, nice written and come with approximately all vital
I would like to see extra
posts like this .
Thank you! I’m going to make this today
great and also outstanding blog site. I really want to thanks,
for giving us better information.
Wonderful information. I will certainly check out the rest of
excellent as well as remarkable blog. I really wish
to thank you, for giving us much better details.
Have you ever thought about including a
little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all.
However imagine if you added some great graphics or video
clips to give your posts more, ?pop?! Your content is excellent but
images and video clips, this site could certainly be one
of the most beneficial in its niche.