I already wrote all about elder plant and its benefits for human health. The tea, infused oil, and tincture from elderflower is used from ancient times till today for the common cold, flu, respiratory tract, and to boost immunity for winter days.
This will be an article about how to make elderflower tincture at home and enrich your herbal cabinet with a tincture that will help you to prevent the cold, flu, and protect the respiratory tract.
The therapeutic properties of this herb come from antioxidant flavonoids quercetin and rutin. Also, it is rich in anthocyanins.
Elderflower Tincture Health Benefits
It is always good to have this tincture near you during the winter. Here are some benefits of it:
- It lowers and regulates temperature with increasing perspiration and healthy sweating.
- Release congestion in the upper respiratory tract and sinuses.
- Stimulate circulation through the skin and with that helps to balance circulation.
- Can be helpful with allergies, catarrh, and congestion.
- It improves snuffly colds with a blocked sensation that interrupts breathing when you sleep.
- It acts as analgesics and mild sedative and with that relief pain.
- Elderflower tincture provide anti-inflammatory actions
- It relieves stomach cramps.
- It clear the excessive mucus collected in your head.
- It boost your immune system.
- It soothe the chest and calms down mild coughs.
How to Use Elderflower Tincture?
Take one teaspoon in cup of water or juice, one or twice a day as needed. Also you can take it via a sugar cube that has a few droplets of the tincture on it.
For persons who want to avoid alcohol, like children elder people and others, there is a way:
- Remove the 200 ml boiled water from the heat and leave to cool to 80°C.
- Add the tincture (drops) to the water.
- Leave it for 20 minutes again and allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Pour into a cup and drink it.
Elderflower Tincture in Combination With Other Tinctures
Elderflower with Echinacea combination treats ear infection.
Elderflower, peppermint and echinacea is a good mix for cold, flu and fevers.
Nettle tincture with elderflower reduces allergic reactions durin hayfever season.
Elderflower Tincture Recipe
It is a very simple recipe; you will need alcohol 40% – 50% like vodka for example (In the video I use traditional alcohol) and dried or fresh herbs. If you use fresh herbs, leave them over one night to evaporate the remaining moisture and then start with the recipe.
The other thing that you will need is to wait 40 days. After this, you will get this anti-cold and anti-flu tincture in your herbal cabinet.
Before we start, if you are interested, you can checkout my other recipes Eldelrflower Cordial Without Boiling and St. John’s Wort Tincture Recipe – Benefits and Uses